Monday, April 12, 2010

Dear Friends and Facebook

Most of you will probably never read this, and the few that will know me well enough to respect it, I hope. I have been thinking quite a bit about my Facebook and the attraction it has on my soul. While I am not a Facebook addict, and I have often refused to participate in the narcissistic posting about my daily routine (not too difficult since no one is interested- I'm a pretty boring dude), I have detected a bit of underlying concern with my page. I often post notes or updates pertaining to Christ, and my hope is that they glorify Him. However, there is a deep part of my heart that hopes they glorify me. I want people to visit my page, to comment on my pictures, to think of me often, to see how intelligent I am (which requires lots of slight of hand and illusions), and to be interested in my life. This portion of my heart has gone unresolved for too long. It is my arrogance that has allowed me to let it grow for even this long, and it is the grace of God that has revealed it to me now. I am far too concerned with the lives of others (including people who I have no business being concerned for), and not concerned enough with the lives of FOS students, my family, and most importantly- The Word of God. Social networking and internet has distracted me long enough, and I am absolutely humbled before God in this moment. I long for intimacy with my Savior and I don't believe Facebook is a venue that is conducive to that for me. I could use the excuse that it is networking with other pastors or old friends- but that is merely laziness on my part. I would like to say that this is a decision I am making knowing my own heart, and I do not think by any means that Facebook is the anti-Christ, demonic, Satan, Beelzubub, or worse- Hilary Clinton (sorry, I had to make a joke here and it was too easy). I do hope that one day I will return to this world because it is fun to see what is going on in the lives of people I care about, but that day is far off yet. If you would like to keep in touch I would be absolutely honored to hear from you. My email address is:

jake@ecconline.cc and/or jgamble.nchs@gmail.com

You can also have my phone number if you ask for it. Thanks for your friendship (the 3 of you who read this) and I hope that even in this note God is glorified. I will be deleting my Facebook account tomorrow evening.

In the words of Clarence (It's a Wonderful Life), "Remember George...No man is a failure who has friends."

For the Glory of God,
Jake Gamble

P.S.- I will continue writing at takethegamble.blogspot.com if you wish to follow along.

2 comments:

Seth Winterhalter said...

I want you to know that because of this decision my farm is going to die, I'm going to get capped by a mob boss and all of the fish in my aquarium are as good as dead.
You selfish punk.

Good choice,

SW

Jake Gamble said...

My bad. I should have been smarter about my decision and granted you infinite crap on facebook.