Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hope for Young Men

On Tuesday night I preached at FOS McCleary on men. One of the things I mentioned is that nothing is more discouraging/frustrating for me to see than men in the Christian church being outnumbered 3:1. I'm not sure how it happened, but somewhere along the way men stopped leading and started becoming lazy, ignorant, stagnant little boys. Most Sundays you'll find men sitting at home watching football on the couch as their wife gets the kids ready for church, drives them to church, registers them, and then brings them home to make their lunch, along with the lunch of her husband, who is also a child.

I found hope on Wednesday night. I watched about 50 young guys gather in front of everyone- high school freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, even some middle schoolers- and worship the God of the universe with no shame. I saw these young men a month ago at camp be broken before God, cry without shame, covenant to protect women, remain pure, and ask each other the difficult questions that have been missing from American culture for so long. I saw those young men sit together with their Bibles open on Wednesday night taking notes on Biblical teaching. I have heard them recite Scripture that they have memorized to war against the desires of the flesh. I have seen them sit and read their Bibles together while everyone else fools around. I've watched silently as they help little ones, reach out to the hurt, and love a community of people who look up to them. I see them wake up on Sunday mornings to learn more about God in classroom formats. I hear them say they love each other and witness them hug. I see them play sports and not glorify themselves.

Something is different in these young men, and it's Christ. Christ is at work in them and it gives me so much hope that maybe, all around the country, other young men are being raised up to be good daddy's, loving husbands, providers, and LEADERS! Oh how I pray that young men are being gathered to do just that! How joyous it would be indeed to see a movement of men who really do care, who can get off their behinds and work for the gospel of Jesus Christ! What hope that brings to me, and I pray that it does the same for you, or that it challenges you to be a better man.

There is a shortage of good, Christian men in the world. Let's fix that.

2 comments:

Amanda Sue said...

Yay! I mean, Yeah. Way to go. Truly, this is encouraging, Jake--SO glad you are not only investing time and energy into these young men, but also seeing good fruit.

Unknown said...

It is a promising occasion dear Miss Winterhalter. Promising indeed!