Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Waning Energy

Any one person who knows me could tell you that I am a few things:
1) Laid Back
2) Opinionated
3) Hungry

These things acting together (or apart) can and do get me in trouble. However, since I am opinionated and think that at times it's a good thing, and don't currently have a problem being morbidly obese, I'd like to focus on being laid back. The problem with being laid back is that it often turns into laziness. Upon returning home my mind knows that I should promptly enter into my room and commence homework for the evening. But my oh so powerful body coaxes me into the living room to glance at the TV. In the past, it would not have been a strange happening to watch 9 hours of TV on a day off. Or to come home from work every day and watch 5 hours of TV.

Now by no means do I think that TV is evil. Nor do I believe that everyone should destroy cable because we would probably find something worse to do with our time. But for me I know this is true: When I sit in front of the television for any extended period of time my mind goes numb. I no longer feel any urgency about the gospel, I do not remember that I have many friends who are dying, and I certainly do not find myself trying to wrestle through any of my struggles at that point in time.

I would be willing to contend that for most of us this is true...and that's the reason we watch TV. It takes no effort. After a long day the last thing we want to do is engage the people in our home in active conversation (at the risk of disagreement which causes even more thought). We certainly wouldn't want to stare at some of the issues that have haunted us for months or years in the face (i.e. lust, pride, lethargy, sloth, gluttony, etc.). So we sit and all of our highly defined megapixels line up exactly in a row stealing precious hours of our time from Christ.

Ask yourself this- would I be more apt to walk deeply with Christ if I spent less time on the Internet or on television? Be honest. It hurts when I am.

Another thing about this "free time" everyone on earth is lacking and enjoys so much. When you have a little free time it does not seem like enough. When you have a lot of free time it does not seem like enough. No matter how much time during your day you have- the more you don't do anything the more your body does not want to do. Try waking up in the morning and working out or going for a run- you're wide awake for the day (until you sit down and don't move for 3 hours). Then try getting 11 hours of sleep, waking up and moving onto the couch for 3 hours. I bet you feel exhausted and take a nap. It's interesting. :D

2 comments:

Curtis said...

Nope...watching TV is the most exhilarating thing I do. My adrenaline races...how could I possibly be tired?
Also, all my best ideas come while I'm watching TV...like, "I could really go for a bowl of ice cream right now." Pure genius...

ahingr is my verifying word. I can't think of what it means right now, but if I was watching TV I most definitely would be able to tell you. Case in Point!

Heather Lyn said...

Thanks for this, jake. I needed to hear it. As much as I hate to admit it, last night I didn't leave the church until eleven thirty, and though I hadn't been home since 6:45am, one of the FIRST things I did (after grabbing some cheerios for dinner), was plop down on the couch and turn on the tv. Now, I'm not the type that has the time to watch tv often, especially late at night...and in spite the fact that I had not read my bible yet, I chose to instead catch an episode of family matters on nick at nite.

It never fails---I always feel convicted when I chose to waste time zoned into the tv instead of spending quality time w/God. This blog was just the icing on the cake.

My word was axeduar. I kinda like it. :)